Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Doo-Nanny Folk Art Show


My first show (not on Dave's coat tails) is coming up March 25-27, 2011- The Doo-Nanny Outsider Folk Art Show in Seale, Alabama. I stumbled upon this show researching different artists who inspire me with their work, philosophy, etc. I was googling Butch Anthony and up came his festival! He started it as a roadside folk art show in 1996. Now it is open to artists of all walks of life. The only requirement is you must make and create whatever you sale. 


I have loved folk art all my life. My mom collected antiques and mammie dolls and little pickinny handmade dolls because they reminded her of her childhood. I loved the creativeness of the handmade dolls and vintage little items she displayed around our house. Dave and I began seriously collecting folk art over 15 years ago and we attend the North Trade Center Folk Festival in Atlanta every year. So this micro festival seems like a good fit for me.


Now, it does have a few considerations...primitive camping at your booth (no electricity) on 80 acres, first-come-first set up space, bring a free carnival game kids can play, port-a-potties, a "hillbilly spa" of outdoor showers and tubs, and a communal kitchen.  But the music, movies, art and artists make it worth it. Plus, it does sound like a lot of fun!


My sister, Julie, has agreed to go with me and Annabelle. Julie is the absolute perfect helper to have.  She never meets a stranger; is game for ANYTHING; can figure anything out; loves to camp, build fire, and construct anything; laughs and has an awesome sense of humor. If she wasn't going, I probably wouldn't be going.  Annabelle is excited for the "Woodstock" atmosphere of hanging out with cool people.


I have been busy, busy, busy completing new work! Here is my before and after photos of my booth sign...


"Before"
"After"
I have completed lots of paintings recently and will post as soon as I get a breather.  Just wanted you to know what's coming up.  Plan a trip down to Seale, AL for the Doo-Nanny. It is only 2.5 hours from Atlanta!

No comments: