Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Moss Took Over My Morning

So I was reading Martha Stewart's LIVING this morning and reading at an article that mentioned using moss in the winter to help plants maintain their moisture.  My plants need that!!  I love my houseplants.  Especially in the winter when there is not much greenery around. PLUS my backyard is full of moss! We get ALOT of shade in the summer and in Georgia, heat, moisture and shade equals moss.


I was planning on watering my plants today anyway, so what's a couple of hours of "plant" work instead of "studio" work.  My plants inspire me, so maybe this trick will inspire you to baby your plants today or buy some plants to baby! Also, we are to get a little ice and snow tonight so I better do this today! Right?


First, I went in the backyard and dug (or actually "lifted") moss pieces in sheets.




Here are a few before and after photos of my plants:






This spider plant is at least 15+ years old. It hung on my grandmama's carport for so many years I can't even remember not seeing it there.  When both of my grandparents passed away, I inherited the plant.  It stays inside during the winter.  My granddaddy told me to give it a little glassful of water every day and it will live forever.  I can't say I water it every day, but once a week.  Hopefully it will like the moss!





I bought these coleus last summer and they have lasted all winter in front of a window, by the heat vent.  Hopefully the moss will help with the frequent watering. Coleus are so easy to root too! Just pinch off a stem and place in water until it roots and then pot. 




OK!  So now down to my studio to work!!!!!  I promise...you know I could paint a few funky plant stakes...

No comments: